As a child, I loved Roosa Manna as a special treat even though I never knew what it consisted of. Apparently all I cared about, was its soft, fluffy, pink goodness I gobbled down with cold milk. Such a delicious memory of mine!
Roosa = pink
Manna = Biblical, food provided to the Israelites in the wilderness
It’s no wonder I was confused as a kid!
From an adult perspective, Roosa Manna is not difficult nor mysterious at all. It has a few simple ingredients which only takes minutes to make. The base ingredient turned out to be cream of wheat!
- If using concentrated juice: 1 c concentrated juice with 4 c water
- Or if using juice & water which is pre-mixed: 1 quart prepared liquid
- 3/4 c cream of wheat
- up to 1/2 c sugar
- Place 1 quart of liquid juice and sugar into a small pot. Bring to a slow boil.
- Add 3/4 cup cream of wheat quickly to the liquid. Be sure to stir constantly to avoid clumping.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes while stirring. Taste and adjust sweetness to your preference.
- After the 15 minutes, the cream of wheat should have thickened. Pour the cream of wheat into a large bowl and let cool.
- Once cool, whisk the cream of wheat until it becomes fluffy and a couple of shades lighter.
- Serve in a small bowl with milk.
Past & Present
My mom and grandmother used to make Roosa Manna with the juice of freshly picked red currants from our backyard. They placed crushed currants into a hanging cheesecloth tied to our kitchen cupboard. This allowed the natural berry juice to flow out of and be caught in a pot below. This pure and very concentrated juice was therefore diluted with water and sweetened with sugar before mixed into Roosa Manna preparations.
Well, I have to say I took a shortcut. I use prepared store bought juice. To keep the sour taste, I chose cranberry juice and combined it with pure tart cherry juice. This combination was way too sour for my daughter, but I thought it was a winning combination! Since these juices were already diluted with water, I used a quart of juice for the recipe. Experimenting with different juices and ratios can all be done to suit your own personal taste.
I hope you make memories of your own & enjoy Roosa Manna as I did!